Monday 18 November 2013

The Rest of Last Week - Presentations and Partying and Actually Getting Work Done: The Story In Full

The rest of last week (that I didn't already tell you about) was pretty great!! :D
I'll get right to the point...

Wednesday & Thursday were relatively uneventful.
I went in to uni early on Wednesday to pay for the trip to Bern, and then stayed in the library working. I got lots done actually - I should go to the library more often! In the afternoon I had that postgrad translation class I mentioned before, which I always enjoy :)
Wednesday evening I had lots of free time - there's usually an exchange student pub night every Wednesday, but for some reason there wasn't one this week, so I took the evening off as I'd got so much work done during the day (and also I start class at 8:15 on Thursday mornings, which means getting up before 7am uuurrrggghhhh). Thursday was even less exciting. I went to my morning class, I spent the afternoon working towards a presentation I had to do on Friday, I went to bed early. #livingthehighlife

Friday was a very busy day!
I had class from 8 until 12 again (same as Thursday mornings) which was great although I'm starting to get a little bit stressed about exams now :/  This term feels like it's flown by, I don't feel like I've done anywhere near enough classes to do exams in these subjects?? argh!! ... I'm sure it will all be alright in the end... I'm just a natural panic-er hahaha
In the afternoon I did my presentation! It was on the recent passing of same-sex marriage laws in both the UK and France, and how the two countries reacted, and why that was based on societal context. I was super worried because it's a hard class, and the lecturer is quite harsh - but it seemed to go very well! :D
I WAS planning to have a quiet night in on Friday night, as I had to catch the train to Bern on Saturday, but a friend messaged me and invited me out to a club called Bypass, where apparently it was free entry and free drinks all night for girls!
Well, in Geneva, where it's like 10CHF MINIMUM for club entry, and it's rare to get a drink for under 5CHF, you just don't say no to a deal like that.
I promised myself, though, that I wouldn't drink too much (and would let my male friends have my share of the free drinks, bless 'em) and would get the last tram back rather than staying out all night, so that I would be able to get up in plenty of time to go to Bern.
We went in two groups on the public bus, which caused some confusion. I was part of the second group that went, and when we got there, the group that had gone before us weren't there!
What was going on? Did we have the right club? Where WAS everyone?
We found out the next day - at the train station on the way to Bern - that the other group had been turned away at the door because one of them was wearing trainers. To be honest if you'd seen this club you wouldn't be surprised at this! Everyone in Geneva seems to be super rich and this place was like on some other level of class. (they didn't appear to even sell beer. Just champagne, wine, and cocktails - all upwards of 25 francs. yikes.)
Those of us who were left had an awesome time all the same! Here's a picture -
I'm not sure I understand why I look so very excited... but this was the best group picture I could find!

I left early to get the last tram home at around 2am (they run later on Fridays and Saturdays, thank goodness!) and while I got some stick from the others for leaving early even though I wasn't the only one going on the Bern trip the next morning, I am sooooo glad I took the nice cosy warm tram back! It was COLD that night! (On a side note, I think it's a crime to charge five francs per item for a club cloakroom when it's November and below freezing outside....)

I think I'll make a separate post about my trip to Bern on Saturday! This post has already got quite long and I have sooooo much to tell you all about Bern! :D
Hope everyone reading is doing well and had a great weekend!
Charlie xo

No comments:

Post a Comment